The experts at 1st Choice Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning understand the difficulty in ensuring that pipes and plumbing is prepared suitably for the cold winter months. There are a number of ways you can take steps towards maintaining the plumbing on your own in order to save yourself time and money later on, and our friendly NJ plumbers are able to help with anything you need, whether a small fix or a total replacement.
- Have your furnace inspected by a professional. These are an essential part of functional heating systems during the course of the winter and the average homeowner will not know how to assess the working condition of the apparatus. Talk with a professional plumber.
- Insulate pipes against drastic temperature changes. Pipes are designed to expand and contract to a certain point, but the fluctuations of winter temperature can cause pipes to burst or become damaged if they are not properly protected.
- Know where to find your main water valve. If there is a leak, you will be losing an average of 10 gallons of water each minute.
- Get the water heater inspected or tuned up. At this time of year, you will likely be able to get some great deals on repairs that will get you through the winter. Setting the water heater temperature to 120 degrees can give you optimal hot water as well as not overheated flow.
- Unhook hoses and cover pipes that are external or exposed.
- During winter vacations when you will be gone and your home will not be heated, take extra steps by shutting off the water valve and trying to keep your house at a minimum of 55 degrees.
For more information on our plumbing services in NJ, call 1st Choice Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning today at 201-288-0390!