During the winter there are steps you can take to maintain your plumbing in Newark. The experts at 1st Choice Plumbing offer these tips to make sure your pipes survive the winter.
- Avoid pouring fats and cooking oils down the drain. The low temperatures will cause them to solidify and create clogs.
- If you have a garbage disposal unit, run cool water for a few seconds before and after each use to make sure the waste has cleared the main line.
- Run your dishwasher and washing machine at off-hours to make sure there will be enough hot water for showers.
- Spread your showers throughout the day.
- Turn up the water heater to retain hot water. Do not exceed 125 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Placing insulation sleeves or wrapping.
- Let your faucet drip during extreme cold weather to prevent pipes from bursting.
Pipes will burst when the water inside of them freezes and expands. Just like leaving a beer can in the freezer. If a pipe has burst in your home there are steps you can take immediately to ensure there will be no further damage to your home.
- Turn off the water main line.
- Identify the pipe that has burst and wrap the area with an absorbent material.
- Call a professional plumber in Newark.
1st Choice Plumbing are Newark plumbers whose years of knowledge and experience will have your pipes fixed in no time.
1st Choice Plumbing
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ 07604